UTEP >> College of Engineering >> Student Resources >> Student Life >> Order of the Engineer Ceremony
order of the engineer ceremony
Family and friends, help us celebrate the graduating class of engineers during The College of Engineering Ceremony. In recognition of their academic accomplishments, all graduating students are recognized individually on stage. Each student receiving a Bachelor of Science degree will receive a stainless steel ring to show their obligation to the profession. Master of Science degree recipients will be hooded by their advisor. PhD graduates will be recognized at Pre-Commencement and hooded at the university's Commencement.
As each graduate crosses the stage, notice the unique regalia they wear. Engineering and Computer Science Master's degree graduates are distinguished by the orange color on the outer binding of their hoods. Bachelor's degree graduates are in the traditional academic regalia. After the ceremony, graduates will identify with other engineers as they wear their stainless steel ring distinctively on the fifth finger of their working hand. The ringing of students is part of a larger ritual called The Order of the Engineer
How do I get ready for the event?
1) RSVP for both the Commencement and The College of Engineering ceremonies through the UTEP Commencement website.
2) B.S. graduates should attend the Ring-Sizing Event prior to the ceremony.
3) All students should be prepared with regalia. This includes cap / gown for B.S. graduates and hood / gown for M.S. Graduates
Order of the Engineer Ceremony
May 17, 2014
UTEP Campus, Magoffin Auditorium
All students and faculty will have their department’s group photos taken prior to the ceremony. Meet at the Miners Hall (see map, Building #32) dressed in full regalia according to the schedule.
Schedule for Group Photos:
- 09:45 am - Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Department
- 09:55 am - Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department
- 10:05 am - Civil Engineering Department
- 10:15 am - Computer Science Department
- 10:25 am - Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- 10:35 am - Mechanical Engineering Department
- 10:45 am - Procession into Magoffin Auditorium
Make plans to arrive 10-15 minutes at the Miner Hall (see map, Building #32) prior to your scheduled photo. Questions regarding group photos and individual photos taken on stage can be directed to Elizabeth Fierro.
Please leave strollers and carriages in you car.
Doors will open approximately one hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
Attire for Ceremony: BS graduates bring cap and gown. MS graduates bring your hood and gown. Faculty is asked to wear regalia.
MS and PhD students: All questions, comments and concerns about the ceremony should be directed to Sandra Aguirre-Covarrubias.
Family members who are also engineers: Graduates who have a family member who is also an engineer and would like them to participate in the Order of the Engineer portion of the ceremony, please register by contacting Gabby Gandara. For questions regarding who can participate, please visit the FAQ page of the Order of the Engineer. Participant cost is $25 per person.
|Ring Ceremony: For details on UTEP’s Order of the Engineer Ring Ceremony,
contact the Link #117 Liaison: Gabby Gandara.
Past initiates can replace lost or stolen rings through the Order of Engineer website.